How To Get The Most Out Of Your Bike Fit
by Jesse Jarjour
Some tips to get the most out of your fit.
MyVeloFit's technology is pretty easy to use, but following the tips below will help you get the best results.
Video: MyVeloFit is designed to be able to process video from most sources, however we've found that phones and USB webcams are the easiest to manage. If you don't have access to a phone or USB webcam tablets or the webcam off a laptop will also work, they can sometimes be more difficult to get in the correct position though. Digital cameras also work but we've run into the occasional issue with the video format. If you are having trouble getting the file to upload feel free to reach out to us here.
All videos must be trimmed to only include you in the correct position (standing from the side for the lower body assessment, from the back for the upper body assessment, and on the bike pedaling for the on bike assessment). It's very easy on most modern devices to trim a video. Here are detailed instructions for Apple and Samsung.
Lighting: It is important to have enough light that your video analysis isn't affected by shadows or a lack of contrast. This is especially important if you don't have clothing that contrasts either your bike or the background. Generally one or two missed frames isn't an issue but if the software is having trouble tracking consistently the analysis can have errors or even fail.
Background: The background should ideally be a different color than both your skin and your clothing. One issue we see often is with black shoes and a black trainer (basically all trainers are black). This can lead to some tracking issues like in the image below. Missed frames like this won't spoil your results but ideally you should avoid it. If you do see missed frames like the one below you can put a piece of paper between your trainer or your frame and your foot.
There must not be any other people or pictures of people in the frame. This includes mirrors in the background.
Repeatability is key. Make sure you can take another video from a similar position so you can make a better comparison.
Co-Founder, CEO, Lead Fitter
Process: In general we recommend you take the following steps when doing a new fit.
- Start with a flexibility assessment . If you are checking your fit after a while and haven't done a new flexibility assessment recently we recommend you do another.
- upload a video of you on the bike.
- Follow the recommended adjustments based on your assessment, starting with the seat. Don't do the cockpit adjustments if you have seat adjustments.
- After you've done the seat adjustments upload a new video and if there are no seat adjustments do the cockpit adjustments.
- Repeat until you have no more recommended adjustments. This will generally take 3-4 uploads.
- Record your new position and go for a ride.
- If after a few rides you are still uncomfortable you can start to experiment with trying different positions while staying in your recommended ranges.
- If you still aren't comfortable or you just don't know where to go from here you can request a expert review
Athletes from around the world use MyVeloFit to improve their cycling position. Whether you are a veteran or new to the sport, MyVeloFit can help you improve your position.Get started